QPR is a certified suicide prevention training program that provides community education and engagement in addressing suicide. It is a gatekeeper training that teaches faculty, staff, and students the skills to recognize and support people who may be having thoughts of suicide. This training provides campus individuals with essential skills to prevent suicide. Through this training our campus community will become stronger and more able to help provide support to one another.
Why take QPR training
- Each year, over 800 000 people die globally by suicide, that is one death every 40 seconds (WHO)
- Suicide claims lives annually more than other deaths that are portrayed in the media (AHS)
- Thoughts of suicide do not discriminate, they affect people of all ages, income levels, and backgrounds (WHO)
- Suicide rates can be decreased with community knowledge and understanding (WHO)
- Approximately 500 Albertans and 4000 Canadians die by suicide each year (Centre for Suicide Prevention)
- Alberta generally has a higher suicide rate than other provinces in Canada (AHS)
- 8.5% of UAlberta students seriously considered suicide in 2013 (~3120 students)(NCHA)
- 1.4% of UAlberta students attempted suicide in 2013 (514 students) (NCHA)
Benefits of QPR training
In this certificate training program you will learn how to question a person about suicide, persuade the person to get help and refer the person to the appropriate resources. QPR is not intended to be a form of counselling or treatment rather it is a community awareness initiative that helps prevent suicide.
In this training you will learn the myths and facts about suicide, skills for identifying warning signs and clues about suicidal thought, the steps for preventing suicide: Question, Persuade, Refer, and the social services that exist on campus and in the Edmonton community for people struggling with thoughts of suicide.
Upcoming Training Sessions
If you are signed up for the Community Helpers Program or have taken it in the past, you do not need to take a QPR training session separately — QPR training is included in the Community Helpers Program.
*dates and times subject to change prior to registration
Training Date and Time*
Online Registration Opens
|November 29, 2017
4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
|January 24, 2018
9 - 11 a.m.
| January 9, 2018
| February 28, 2018
1:30 - 3:30 p.m.
|February 13, 2018
| March 28, 2018
4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
| March 13, 2018
Alberta Health Services
Centre for Suicide Prevention