Days of Action
World Day of Social Justice
Today’s Menu - Food Security
U of A Day of Action: February 15th, 2018
World: February 20, 2018
Food security isn’t just about being hungry. You have the right to food that’s right for you.
Everyone deserves access to food that is safe, culturally acceptable, and nutritionally adequate. However, nearly 2 out of 5 students surveyed in Canada have experienced food insecurity. An average nutritionally adequate diet can cost up to $300 per month in Edmonton.
The barriers to food security as reported by food insecure students include:
- Food costs - 53%
- Housing costs - 48%
- Tuition fees - 51%
- Inadequate income support 38%
Of the people who access the Campus Food Bank:
- 50% are graduate students, still they make up 20% of the student population on campus
- 44% are undergraduate students
- 21% live in University residence
In addition, 30% of people helped this year so far by the Campus Food Bank are children.
Are you food secure?
- Have you ever skipped a meal or ignored being hungry?
- Had to eat less healthy food to save money?
- Had food to eat but didn’t know how to prepare it?
- Are you able to afford and access the kind of food you want to eat to live a healthy lifestyle, and that meets any dietary restrictions you have (e.g. vegan, halal, lactose free or gluten free)?
World Day of Social Justice Basket Giveaway
On February 15th, come visit the Days of Action table from 10AM - 2PM in SUB to get a free sample of macaroni and enter a chance to win a gift basket! The gift basket includes a cookbook for eating on a budget, a Subway gift card, and more! Contest rules can be found here
Campus Food Bank Fundraiser
Our Campus Food Bank provides food for anyone in our community who is in need of it. Here’s a way to support the work that they do:
- The Mac and Cheese Affair
- Formal Dinner & Silent Auction on April 28, 2018, at the Faculty Club
For more information and event details, sign up here
or contact email@example.com
- Learn more about food insecurity and how to get involved with these web resources:
- Watch films on food security:
Get involved on campus
Get involved in your community
University of Alberta Resources
Upcoming Days of Action
Each year, the Community Social Work Team works with partners from across campus on "Days of Action", providing information, engaging in discussion, and challenging stigma at the University of Alberta.
March 20, 2018: International Day of Happiness
April 6, 2018: World Health Day
September 10, 2018: World Suicide Prevention Day